Singles Summer Chicken Chili
This is the perfect meal for a big group whether it’s a summer house in the Hamptons, or a healthy après ski dinner. Its filling but healthy and easy to keep on the stove stop for guests that come and go.
• 1 lb. ground chicken (turkey works too.)
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• Mirepoix (1/2 diced onion, 1 diced stalk celery, 1 diced carrot.) – Good stores sell this prepared!
• 1 large can diced tomatoes
• 2 fresh diced tomatoes (IF YOU HAVE TIME – optional)
• 1 can dark kidney beans (strained)
• 1 can red kidney beans (strained)
• 1 can white kidney/cannellini beans (strained)
• 1 can black beans (strained)
• 1 can corn (strained)
• 1 large carton (or 2 cans) of chicken broth
• 1 jar tomato sauce or pasta sauce
• Chili Pepper
• Salt and Pepper
• Hot Sauce (optional)
• Sliced Avocado (2)
• Sour Cream (small container)
• Shredded Mexican Cheese (small package)
In a large frying pan, place the chicken breasts in a little olive oil and brown lightly on both sides. Then add enough chicken broth to cover and lower to simmer and cover. Let cook until still very pink the in the middle, then turn off until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, Sauté the Mirepoix in a little olive oil in a large Chili pot. When it starts to become translucent, add the ground chicken and start to cook/stir until lightly browned. Add a teaspoon or so of Cumin and Chili Powder. Add the tomatoes, beans and corn and stir. Add the chicken broth (as needed to desired consistency) and bring to a boil.
Pull apart the chicken in the pan and add the shreds to the big pot. Reduce to simmer and cook 30 minutes to an hour (or longer) on simmer. After chicken is cooked through add more Cumin, Chili Power and Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir in hot sauce if you like it spicy.
When flavors are melded, serve with sliced avocado, sour cream and shredded cheddar. Add tortilla chips or serve over rice or macaroni for a heartier version.